Monday, April 11, 2005

More from Penza, Russia

Hey Everyone!

Things are still going really well. We are enjoying our kids-to-be (I say that only officially; they are already “our kids!”) and I believe they are enjoying us. The language barrier is tough, but we are doing ok. I have learned to count to 10 in Russian (don’t ask me to do it!), and we are teaching the kids some English. We bought them some “How to speak English” materials to leave with them here in Russia when we go home, so maybe by the time we come to get them they will be a bit more fluent in English (and we in Russian!).

Penza is an interesting city. It is rather large (500,000) but there is very little to do here. We went bowling last night at the local bowling alley (with only two lanes!). We walk around a lot, and play games (currently “Spoons” is the favorite). Gena and Lyndsay Clark are enjoying “Battlefield 1942” on my computer, and they all like to listen to music constantly! Apparently they watch a lot of TV at the orphanage, too.

Yulia is quiet. Very sweet, but quiet. She keeps looking at me and Cyndy when we are not looking, studying our faces. She is not nearly as affectionate as we assumed she would be, but that may come. She has been journaling while she is with us and I would LOVE to know what she is writing, but of course, that is not my privilege. But she is a beautiful girl, very well mannered and as sweet as can be.

Gena is all boy! But that is a good thing! He loves to compete. We’ve played pool, bowling, thumb wrestling, etc. He is quite the athlete and very strong for his size. You can see by the pictures that he is as tall as Yulia, but then she is rather short. He is loving playing games on the computer, too. We are a bit concerned about how he will fare in our family, since Nathan is not a competitive game-player and I’m 49!

We are going to spend some time alone with the kids today (Tuesday) along with the translator (Vadim is great!). We want to talk to them about things and allow them to ask us whatever they want. Pray for a good conversation. Pray for emotional and spiritual connection.

Ok. I’ve put up some more pictures (below). Wish we could share everything with you all, but there just isn’t time or space. I’m typing this in the room where Gena is waking up from a night’s sleep and so I want to get it done so I can spend some time with him! I’m sure you understand!

Blessings to all. Thanks for your continued prayers. We are truly blessed!

Glen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home